At Brunswick
Husson (1-4-1) 0-1–1
Bowdoin (2-2) 0-2–2
Bowdoin goals:
Matty McColl, Luke Lockwood; assist: Drake Byrd; Husson goal: Nathan Firlings; assist: Shuby Bodke

Goalies, Husson: Benjamin Powell 8 saves; Bowdoin: Owen Wolfson 2 saves

BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College men’s soccer team used a pair of second half goals and held off a late flurry to defeat Husson, 2-1, in a non-conference match at Pickard Field on Tuesday afternoon.

The Polar Bears bounce back from a pair of one-goal losses over the weekend to improve to 2-2-0. Husson falls to 1-4-1 with the loss.

Match Highlights

Bowdoin completely controlled the game in the opening half, owning a 12-0 shot advantage but couldn’t find the back of the net, including on a penalty kick opportunity just five minutes into the contest.

Husson goaltender Benjamin Powell stopped four first-half shots as the game remained scoreless at intermission.

Bowdoin finally got on the board in the 50th minute when a Matty McColl corner kick curled towards the goal and slipped between the gloves of Powell to give the hosts a 1-0 edge.

The Polar Bears doubled their lead in the 62nd minute as Drake Byrd fed a beautiful low cross to the foot of Luke Lockwood, who buried it with his left foot to make it 2-0 Bowdoin.

Husson made it interesting late, as a long ball from Shuby Bodke sailed down the center of the field. Nathan Firlings split the Bowdoin defense and got a toe on the lofted ball, redirecting it past Bowdoin goaltender Owen Wolfson in the 65th minute to trim the lead to 2-1.

The Eagles made a late push and Wolfson was forced to make two saves down the stretch to seal the win for the Polar Bears.

By The Numbers

Bowdoin owned a 22-3 edge in shots for the match and held a 10-2 advantage in corner kicks.

Powell made eight saves for Husson while Wolfson finished with two stops for Bowdoin.

Up Next

Bowdoin heads to Wesleyan in a return to NESCAC action Saturday at 2:00 p.m.

Husson will return to action at SUNY Canton on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.