HAMDEN, Conn. – With two goals in the second half, the University of Maine field hockey team earned a hard-fought 3-2 victory over the Quinnipiac Bobcats on Saturday afternoon at Quinnipiac Field Hockey Stadium. Maine extends its’ winning streak to four to start the 2018 season with the win.

The two teams traded goals the entire game, but it was the Black Bears (4-0) who recorded the game-winning goal in the 57th minute to claim the victory.

Samantha Wagg, Brianna Ricker and Libby Riedl all netted goals in the contest for Maine, while Makayla Adams and Elisa van Winkel led the offense for the Bobcats (2-3). Ricker added an assist on Riedl’s game-winning goal for a total of three points in the game.

In the cage, Mia Borley picked up her fourth-consecutive win to start her Black Bear career, while Hannah Teicher was charged with the loss for Quinnipiac. Borley tallied three saves on the day, while Teicher picked up seven.


Maine controlled possession, especially in the second half, as Maine led in the shot column by a mark of 18-6.

10 of Maine’s shots were on target, while five reached the net for the Bobcats.

The Black Bears also led in penalty corners, with an advantage of 8-3.

Riedl’s game-winner marked her fourth goal of the season, and third game-winner in four games. In 61 games played before this season, she had three total game-winners.

Wagg and Rieldl are averaging a goal per game through four games this season. They are among the leaders in Division I field hockey in the category.

Maine’s four wins to start the season matches their start two seasons ago in 2016, when they won four consecutive to begin the year.

With the win, Maine has won eight straight over Quinnipiac and lead the all-time series by a count of 12-4.


21:35 | On a penalty stroke, Wagg sniped a shot past the Quinnipiac goalkeeper on the lower left side of the net for her team leading fourth goal of the season.

33:50 | Quinnipiac’s Makayla Adams received a centering pass from Brooke Whipkey, as her shot found the back of the net on the left side for the Bobcats’ first goal.

36:30 | Ricker gained possession on the left side of the cage after a Bobcat defender attempted to break up a pass, depositing the shot into the back of the net.

38:58 | Just over two minutes later, QU tied the contest back up after converting a penalty corner.

57:52 | Ricker gained possession near the right side of the cage, dribbled around a few defender before finding Riedl, who made a move and beat the defender low and to the right for the game winner.


The Black Bears are back in action tomorrow, taking on the Lafayette Leopards at Quinnipiac Field Hockey Stadium. Game time is set for noon.